Monday, May 24, 2010

Winterizing: The X files...


So, we got bitten by a Texas style winterizing....meaning, half ass winterizing.
Last winter, while still under preparations for this trip, we (and my wife is shouting "we??!! you mean, you") winterized the Airstream trailer because it was in storage. I read several articles and "how to" do it.

  • I opened and drained all the faucets
  • I flushed all the pipes and emptied the fresh water tank
  • I pumped air to blow all the remaining water in the pipes
  • I poured antifreeze in the water tank
  • I manually purged the water pump and filled it with antifreeze
  • I manually poured antifreeze in all the drains and water traps
Was that enough?

During the first weeks of out trip, we started to notice a bit of water under the kitchen mat. It looked like "condensation" just under the mat. Humm.....we started to monitor this "condensation". It appeared and disappeared randomly. At some point, the conspiracy theories started, what is the cause of this tiny amount of water?

a) Condensation

b) The wife is splashing water when she is cooking or washing dishes (filed under chauvinist theories)

c) Roof vent over that area is leaking.

d) Kitchen faucet is leaking due to water pump on while traveling

e) Sasquatch is messing in the kitchen while we are out of the trailer.

We systematically eliminated each theory with observation and experimentation until the only theory ramaining was the Sasquatch one. Pure logic.

But on one of those rare occasions, when I was the one doing the dishes, I noticed some water around the kitchen sprayer...we never use that stupid thing...why does it have water around it? Does Sasquatch likes to use it?

I pulled the darn thing out of its counter top fitting and...gasp! a drop or two of water was trickling down the hose. I removed the drawers from the kitchen cabinets and inspected the underlying plumbing. Yep...the sprayer was leaking and the little water was ending up under the kitchen mat.

We stopped in Idaho Falls at Perfection RV and they quickly replaced the whole thing with a new unit. As it turns, if water remains in the sprayer head, it freezes and cracks...and leaks.

So, add to the winterizing checklist...kitchen sprayer.
I think that Sasquatch messed my winterizing by putting a bit of water in the sprayer.

0 comments: