In this visit to Yellowstone I noticed something funny about the warnings that were handed out at the entrance, and in some dangerous thermal areas: The people depicted in the warnings are all carrying cameras.
But not only that, also, the choice of graphics to depict people is fairly realistic. Knowing that this is a fairly international location, I would have expected the typical generic, multicultural stick figure.But instead, realistic depictions were chosen. Can you imagine the meeting, and you can rest assured that there was one, where a committee discussed and approved the graphics?
I bet that the graphic artist, initially submitted figures without cameras.
Then someone at the meeting suggested:
"Can we put a camera on that person? And while at it, make that Buffalo hit him harder. Make his hair go up from the impact and his hat fly away....yeah, and his camera should fly away also, yeah, I like that."
"Can we make the person getting 3rd degree burns younger? No, even younger, like a kid. And while at it, put a camera around his arm, and make him jump from the scolding water, yes...like that. Also, make his hat fly up...perfect.
"Now, if a kid was not deterred from carrying a camera and getting close to the geysers, lets put his sister in making fun of him...yes, that will get him scared enough. Also, put a parent or adult walking away and not paying attention to the kid. We do not want to encourage attention seeking behavior. Yes, like that, perfect. Meeting adjourned!"
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Those pesky photographers...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
YOU ARE MAKING THIS UP!
I do remember seeing people in Yellowstone walking up to buffalo with cameras up to their faces totally oblivious to the fact they were approaching a dangerous animal. So, I guess these signs have been added since we were there last. They certainly would leave a lasting impression!
Oh! Those graphics are for reeal! The first one is a flier that is handed out at the entrance of the park (the person getting gored by a bison).
The second and third graphics are from signs near geyser areas.
I was able to get some neat photos of wildlife...especially one gray fox.
When we were there years ago in April we actually observed a pack of wolves eating a freshly killed elk. Pretty amazing! It was before digital photography, so I would have to do some digging to find the photo, but believe me it was incredible! The picture was taken from a safe distance!
Post a Comment