As the months have passed by, I have compiled a series of vignettes that I write when I meet people that make an impression on me, people that I find interesting, or became part of a memorable passage during this trip.
So here is the first vignette of the ongoing series.
Vignette No 1
Cell phones ruined everything
She is very short; I can barely see her behind the counter of this remote general store in the middle of the desert. She has a round face framed with big glasses. Her skin tells a story of the sun in these latitudes, and her voice has a very high pitch that is full of zest and cheer. As I pay for a couple of soft drinks I inquire as how is to live and operate a store in the middle of the desert. The radiant cheerfulness leaves her face as she turns directly to me to answer.
“You know, everything was fine until cell phones ruined everything. Now they can track you down even here in the middle of the desert.”
As I try to digest her statement, she maintains an expression of gravity and seriousness. I extend my hand to receive my change, and I nod.

4 comments:
OK, tell me that wasn't outside of Canyonlands National Park - Needles District. If so, I have stories to share.
Hey Matt! No, it was in another state....but share anyway!
Maybe she meant smartphones. Someone can tag her GPS location.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foursquare_(service)
@ Javier...
I think even before smartphones it was (and is) possible to track cell phones via cell tower triangulation...but if some of the movies that I have seen have any dosage of reality, a court order is needed to actually track a given phone. This is why drug dealers only use pre-paid phones and/or switch sim cards frequently..as seen on The Wire :)
Post a Comment