Saturday, April 3, 2010

What would Bill do?



2010-03-24
Today we drove from Hot Springs to Little Rock AK.
We parked in Mamuelle Park, unhitched and went for a drive around Little Rock. It is a nice quiet city. We had lunch on the Capitol Building lawn and walked around the area. While walking, I was overly conscious about the fact that Bill Clinton was governor of Arkansas, and that lots of his scandals came from here. Every time I came across a woman I would think: “Would Bill hit that?”



Speaking of...
After our downtown stroll, we visited the Clinton Presidential Library. Very nice building, loved its architectural design and materials. Examining the library contents and exhibitions I could not help to be overcome by a sense of hopelessness, when I saw how the political discourse of the nation has not improved, and keeps deteriorating with every political cycle. It was also interesting to see in hindsight Clinton's famous “Third Way”:

“We have moved past the sterile debate between those who say government is the enemy and those who say government is the answer. My fellow Americans, we have found a third way.”
Bill Clinton State of the Union Address 1998



“We have moved past the sterile debate”... right.
Say hello to Tea Baggers.

After this depressing bout, at my wife's bequest, we visited the Heifer International headquarters, and I got even more depressed when I got reminded that while here in the USA we are getting blue in the face arguing abstracts, most of the world is still toiling in hunger.

0 comments: