Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Intriguing...




Milwaukee Art Museum


2010-04-13
Today we drove form Wakegan, IL to Milwaukee, WI and then walked around downtown and some parks in the lake front. Another fine city with way over its fair share of architecture, art, and history. As I get to know more of the mid-northern-east of the USA, I am starting to realize that the south is culture starved. Why is that? You would think that here up north, with only a few months of the year available for hassle free work weather wise, they would be behind the south since it has year round good weather. Intriguing...


Minneapolis Opera

2010-04-14
Today we drove form Milwaukee to Mystic Lake in Minnesota. Here we found a campground/casino/Indian reservation. What a concept. And guess what, it was the best campground so far on this trip. Clean, super well planned, nice facilities, diesel pump, and LP refills on the premises! We had to double check that we were not actually in Canada with all this thoughtfull, good planning. Leave it to the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux to come up with a 1st rate RV campground.



2010-04-15
Today we drove around Minneapolis river front and down town. The evidence for unbalanced distribution of art and culture keeps piling up. The north has its unfair lion's share.


Minneapolis Stone Bridge Historic area


Minneapolis Sculpture Garden


Then we drove to St. Paul and visited the cathedral, a ritzy neighborhood and the capitol building, then....


St. Paul Cathedral


Check it out! Garrison Keillor....we are heading for the prairie!



There we encountered a Tea Party protest...Jackpot! Sure enough, it was April 15th, tax deadline. My saliva glands started to secrete copiously and I had to work hard at retracting my fangs.


Will Fox make this protest look like 10,000 attended?


I decided to get my camera and mid-range zoom and bag me some “Tea Baggers in the mist”. What a hearty bunch of crackpots. I estimated that half of the crowd were Tea Baggers, and the other half were people like me gawking at them.


Few, but madder than many...


In general, they seem to have some coherent “who could possibly disagree with that” type of notions. Like “democracy is cool,” “the constitution is A-OK,” “freedom and lollipops for everybody.”


OK, so I could not find a single "sane" sign...

But whatever they have to say or complain about comes crashing down when one of the sponsors of the protest is a Dry Foods company that sells this type of bunker food for when the time comes we all have to go down into bunkers because the system finally turned so oppressive that going underground is the only recourse to avoid being taken by human flesh eating progressive heathens...


Food for "uncertain times"....right.


I was surprised at the the level of drawing skill on this one. Kudos!


This guy must have access to the real Kenyan birth certificate.


Ayn Rand represented. Atlas is shrugging...me to!


That and “They want to tax my underwear” signs.



Interestingly enough, there were some people with signs opposing the Tea Party, but somehow, I think they were not allowed to “mix” with the Baggers, to avoid animosities I guess. These anti-tea-baggers were about 2 blocks away and there was a truck driving around the Capitol building reminding everybody of the purpose of taxes.



2010-04-16
Today we visited the Mall of America. It has an amusement park in the middle of a shopping mall. The perfect followup for the Tea Party protest. The other side of the coin? Imbecilic levels of consumerism and entrainment?





Besides the Nickelodeon rides, aquariums and other do-das, the cake was taken by these 2 stores:

-American Girl

-MagiQuest

I will let the web sites do the "moment of Zen" thing. No need to poke extra fun.

After this overload of “true americana” we went for an oil change for the truck...cj-4 Shell Rotella please.

We finished the day by decompressing in some nice local nature parks near Lake Mystic.



2010-04-17
Today we took it easy and stayed in the Airstream for most of the day. In the afternoon we went for a mountain-bike ride to the Murphy-Hanrehan mountain bike trail. The trail is a single track that reminded me of Walnut Creek back in Austin, TX. Both trails are “tricked-out” for mountain bikers. Banked turns, obstacles, and such.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've really enjoyed following your blog in order to learn the ways, means, and benefits of living on the road and I plan to continue to do so for same reasons. I understand that it's your blog and you can write about anything that you like. However, I'd venture to say that most of the folks that follow you care very little about your sucky socialist political opinions.

Just another man's opinion.

A very wise man once told me that "Political opinions are like a..holes...Everybody's got one and nobody cares.........SP

adolfo_isassi said...

Hi Anonymous!
Thanks for following along.
The blog was set up for my friends and family to follow along, so sometimes the humor is catered for progressive heathens. Do not let the chuckles at the expense of the retrograde right distract you form the bigger picture..."Life in the open road".

That very wise man was not only wise but witty, and I suspect he lived under a rock or in a cave in utter isolation.I suspect that he doesn't know about Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Rachael Meddow or the rest of the army of political pundits that make a nice living from their political opinions and the tens of thousands of people that follow them on a daily basis....caring about their political opinions.