Finally, after hours of research, I decided and purchased the solution for our Internet connectivity needs for the road ahead. The final decision came in the form of a Verizon USB modem chosen because Verizon's larger coverage, and because an external antenna can be attached to this modem. The second part of the solution came in the form of a CradlePoint 3G router and a cellular antenna. Thanks to Steve at "More Mobile Internet" for his technical assistance in choosing the equipment. The 3G kit came in a nice portable aluminum case:
Next came the installation in the Airstream. I strongly considered the WiFi In Motion solution but cost and installation became an issue. So this other package was extremely easy to install, just find an outlet close to a window, plug the router, plug the antenna, and you are in business.
First I decided to install the router next to the TV digital converter box, just to keep all the messy wires confined to one corner. But as I was finishing this, the little router power adapter told me:
"Psst, buddy would you like to connect to the Internet while boondocking? My label clearly reads 12V, so why don't you switch me to the other side to the 12v outlet?"
OK, good idea, thanks power adapter label. Not to bad to undo the initial installation and switch to the other side.
The final step, was to attach the antenna to the window via 2 suction cups. By the way, for the curios and dubious minds, I tested the signal strength with and without the antenna. 2 Bars without, 4 bars with.
Happy surfing!





4 comments:
I'm truly curios? Was the throughput? Go to speakeasy.net and check your dload upload speed. For those without the need-for-speed the option may be better (cheaper)than FIOS or Comcast.
You know, I tested throughput with the Verizon 3G network on speakeasy.com after the experiencing the issue with the MacBook Pro airport + my home router, so I wanted to compare.
I did not write the number down, but I seem to remember that the throughput was ~950kb/s close to 1mb/s but I am curios if the speed is dependent on the location. I will make a note to report the coverage, signal strength as well as throughput on every spot we camp.
We installed a Verizon Wireless MiFi Card in our airstream, that might work too if anyone wants a slightly less powerful setup.
I wish the MiFi would accept an antenna. It is a nice little portable device. Let me know how the MiFi works in remote areas.
Post a Comment