I have been busy packing up and sorting what to take into the Airstream, what to leave behind hibernating, and what to trash for good. This is going to be my seventh big move in my life: Passic NJ, Houston TX, Mexico City, Monterrey NL, Austin TX, Los Angeles CA, Austin Texas. Moving stuff around these many times it has showed me the things that I value the most, the things that I hang on to, and carry across country and state lines. Photographs, paintings, letters, and a shrinking list of air looms that I have been passing to younger or more sedentary family members.
But the last 10 years of my life have been greatly impacted by technology, and thus, I have accumulated a disturbing amount of computer technology stuff that has become obsolete in a very short period of time.
A person of my age, probably grew up the first 25 years of her or his life with only one or two land line phones. In the last 10 years I have owned:
- 5 cell phones
- 3 cordless phones
- 20 mice and keyboards
- 6 computers
- 2 switch boxes
- 2 routers
- 3 usb hubs
- 4 external hard drives
- 2 analog SLR cameras
- 5 digital SLR cameras
- Floppy disks
- CDs
- DVDs
- Downloads
It was a real ordeal to safely dispose of all the hardware and to securely dispose of all the media containing who knows what at this time. One of the last items to deal with was this pile of floppy disks that, at this the time, I had no patience to inspect one by one, nor read the labels. Heck, I realized that I do not own a computer with a floppy drive anymore. Here they are taking a dunk before finding their way to the hazardous waste dump.
Ironically, the vicious cycle continues. A couple of days after this techno-cleansing, I was busy transferring software and data form my main computer to:
- a new laptop that I will carry along in the Airstream
- getting a new 3G router
- a new 3G modem
- and a cell antenna.


0 comments:
Post a Comment