Tuesday, November 16, 2010

New Tires...




OK, finally some more RV'ing related stuff to write about.

The time for new tires for Blue Bailout (our 2009 GMC 2500 Sierra truck) finally arrived.
About a month ago, when I did the 25,000 miles tire rotation ( I rotate tires every 5,000 miles) the technician, told me that this was probably the last rotation that I will get on those tires. He gave me a gauge that you can insert in the thread and see a green, yellow and red zone indicating acceptable level of wear. The tires were barely in orange...

The truck came equipped with Bridgestone tires:
V-Steel Rib 265 LT245/75R-16/E1 120S

These tires are rated for 50,000 miles, and I was getting close to the end at 25,000 miles!
I managed to squeeze another 4,000 miles, and decided to get new ones.

I decided to go for a set of Michelins LTX M/S rated for 65,000 miles.

Here are some intersing tire related tid-bits. Did you know that...

  • If you put diferent size tires on your Allison Tranmision equiped truck...you void the warranty?
  • Tires rated at high millage are harder.
  • Harder tires "chunk-out" (get chunks of tread off) in rocky off road conitions when they spin-off (especally the ones on the back of the pick-up)
  • To Avoud "chunking-out" use 4x4 so the back tires are less prone to spin-off
We will see if we get better life on these new Micheine tires. I was not impressed with Bridgestone.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting - I never knew that tire brand really made a difference. I always thought that a tire is a tire is a tire.